So I’m in a gale right now, nothing new about that. What is new is I just had a full knockdown, I nearly capsized. My mast was underwater. My dodger is shredded. I had water above the floor boards. I smashed my knee. My fuel bladder got launched across my cabin along with everything else. A can of tomato powder exploded and my cabin is now covered in the stuff. You know those little round things at the end of your spreaders that keep your main sail from chaffing? Well knockdown ripped one of those off. Its a pretty bad knockdown when things get ripped off you spreaders half way up your mast. The local fishermen call this area the mix master, I understand why. Waves are breaking all around me as I sit here and type this. The area is to big to sail around, so here I am. So, I have a big storm coming this weekend. I was going to ride it out south of the islands but instead I’m going to drift around Beaver inlet. There is good protection there but its only a few miles wide. This means I will motor to the north side drop the parachute sea anchor drift south for a couple hours pull the sea anchor motor back to the north side deploy the sea anchor again and repeat the process until Monday. This really sucks but at least I won’t have to stop and the non stop aspect of this trip will still be intact. Of course it would be easier to just drop an anchor and sleep but that would ruin everything I’ve worked for. I might sail around the inlet a bit but since its going to be blowing 50kts sailing will be a bit difficult. So if you see bouncing all over beaver inlet, I’m just waiting out a storm until Monday, then hopefully I can head south.
Slight change of plans. There is not enough room in Beaver Inlet for me to drift and I wouldn’t get any sleep. So I’m going to head to the south side of Unalaska island and ride out the storm there. I’ll have less protection, but i’ll have much more room to drift. Which means I can sleep. My old wiring caught on fire last night.. I’ll tell more about that later.